Monday, July 14, 2008

Blog addition

So I added this Featured Blog item on my sidebar and I wanted to take a minute to explain what it is. I was reading a post on WoW Insider about how to get your blog read more, and this was one of the things they highlighted. Basically it advertises other blogs that are out there. In return, I get advertised on other blogs as well. The way it works is a little more complicated.

It's called Entrecard. I created a profile on their site and set up my card with a logo for my site. I earn credits by going to other sites and "dropping" on their Entrecards. Basically saying, "Hey, I've been to your site." This can be done once a day. You also get credits for people dropping on your site, so it goes both ways and is polite to drop on sites that have dropped on you. So what are all these credits for? Advertising. Depending on how popular the website is, it costs a certain amount of credits to advertise on their site. (And by looking at it, I think it's based on how many pending adds they have queued for the site.) So for example. I purchase an add on a WoW Blog, and for 24 hours, the picture on THEIR Entrecard, is for my site, and it links here.

What you will see on the sidebar is a picture and link for blogs that have requested to be advertised on my site. I approve all of these, so it's not like anyone can just throw up an add. But that being the case, I'm still figuring it out. The first add was for some hip-hop site which is cool and all, but I would like to keep the adds relevant to WoW if at all possible. It will probably take some time before things level out and I have more WoW sites asking to advertise on Good Morning Azeroth.

Why did I do this? I guess I'd like to have more readers, and this seemed like an easy way to get word out there that my site exists. I also like that it doesn't involve paid advertising. It's more of a community notice more than anything, and maybe it will direct people to other interesting blogs. I know it's already done that for me, showing me more warcraft sites that could be interesting and fun to read.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, I found you through entrecard. So it must work. =)

T.J. said...

Thanks for the welcome! I'm having a lot of fun with the Entrecard feature. If anything, it's introduced me to a lot of WoW blogs that I didn't know about before, and that was the point of putting my own little slice of WoW out there, so I agree that it must be working.