Thursday, June 5, 2008

Long Distance WoW

I had to go out of town for a week for my company which means leaving my favorite gaming partner, my wife, home alone with the dog for a week. While it was bad enough that I would be working 10 to 12 hour days in a foreign office miles from home, being apart from her and home was the worst part of the deal.

What I think is pretty awesome though is that even while separated by distance, we've still managed to get in some game time in the evenings playing WoW together as Salthier and Lal. We've progressed to level 58 and are working our way to level 60 and Outland at a good pace. Yes, we have to use the in game voice chat to communicate, and it's a poor substitute for being in the same room together, but between all the "huh?" and "what was that again?" comments, we manage to communicate fairly well.

I think it's been really positive in that while playing and talking, we tend to forget just how far apart we are, and while it's hard to get used to being alone at other times, when we play we're together again, even if it's virtual. So I think WoW has been instrumental in keeping us from getting too depressed at being apart. To think that just a few short months ago we weren't playing together and now it's a favorite pastime that we both enjoy, even across a couple States, is really exciting to me.

No comments: